Now for a question on the mind of many Law of Attraction enthusiasts. How can I create a “vibration” of abundance and attract more money?
Abraham promises a simple and appealing route to financial success:
When I was an A-H devotee, I thought there was a simple equation for financial success–for everything in fact: financial abundance, just like everything else in my life, was simply a factor of my “vibration.” This was great news, especially since it just so happened that Abraham had all the answers for how to improve this all-important vibration and thus improve every area of life. Even more good news, the path to this was all about ease, feeling good, faith, and all sorts of other internal factors I could control. I believed I just had to understand the Teachings and find my own happy way to allow more than I was resisting.
I liked that I didn’t have to think or try too hard, nor worry about the practical, finicky details. I came to believe that my main practical concern was only, “How am I feeling? In this moment, am I allowing or resisting?” I liked that I could simply follow pure joy and inspiration and let the rest fall into place like magic.
But I no longer believe in this message of managing all circumstances through some kind of mental alchemy. The construct of vibration as taught by A-H is simplistic and questionable, and believing that this “vibration” can be managed to create every experience and consequence in our lives does not necessarily lead to the empowerment and success that is promised.
Results of thinking of money exclusively in terms of vibration and the Law of Attraction:
Back to the question of how a person can get a good money vibration going. Notice that language. How can we create abundance? Attract money? Thinking of money in “vibrational” terms leads to suggestions that may look something like this:
- Change your thoughts, beliefs, and emotions around the subject of money
- Practice thinking, feeling, and behaving in abundant ways
- Feel good, soothe yourself, and work your way up the emotional scale on topics related to money
- If it doesn’t feel good, don’t focus there. Remember, it’s about releasing resistance, not observing What-Is
- Throw in the Abraham meditation on financial abundance to really get things moving
There are some good ideas in there. But let me illustrate how it can look in action when this is your main tool:
- Do a lot of psychological exercises and journaling related to money
- Buy more books about attraction and manifestation, rather than learn something concrete like budgeting or investing
- Keep your actual financial situation blurry and out of focus if it doesn’t feel good to focus there
- Keep taking the path of least resistance
- Reason that it’s OK to use your credit card on those personal development workshops, courses, and materials. You are free from thinking in terms of “can I or can’t I afford it” because you know it’s actually all about vibration.
- In fact, credit card debt be damned. Who knows or cares what your balance even is. Because you just KNOW incredible financial abundance is lined up and on its way to you.
- There is no need to feel bad, worried, or concerned in relation to your finances, in fact those feelings indicate that you are vibrating and attracting Lack. Instead focus on the thoughts that feel good, like “I don’t need to worry about my finances,” and “money is lined up for me in my vortex.” There, that’s better.
- Budgeting to bring your finances into better balance? That’s not inspiring, that sounds like an action journey. Going to school to gain skills to make money? That’s not really how money is made. This world is all about vibration!
A more practical way to approach the subject of money:
Now let’s leave behind ideas about creating/attracting/manifesting abundance and phrase it in a different, more helpful way: How can I have/make/save money? How can I have a better relationship with money? When I stopped trying to make everything revolve around vibration, I could think more practically about improving my finances:
- Be aware of your finances, in detail. In fact, practice precision and diligence and care in all money related matters
- Learn how to handle money/learn smart habits around money
- Learn about banks, investing, credit, debt, and other worldly money matters
- Learn skills that make money
- Decide how much is for spending and present-day enjoyment and how much is for saving and the future.
- Talk to people who understand money and can teach you about it rather than buying books by channelled astral entities
- And of course, understand your relationship to money on other levels as well
This probably seems SO obvious to your average grounded, responsible human being. But it was not obvious to me.
Is there a psychological element to money. Surely. A spiritual element, a karmic element? I sure believe so. A physical, earth-life, action-required component? Definitely that one, though I was taught to pay the least attention to that.
The false war in Abraham Land between the action journey and the vibrational journey:
Abraham discourages the “action journey.” Abers believe that the action journey is how the unthinking muggles create change in their lives. But deliberate creators supposedly know better. They know how to harness the power of the universe through a vibrational journey that paves the way for inspired, effortless action. It does feel good to think we’re skipping the hard, slow stuff.
But this “vibrational shortcut” may give results very different from the ones promised. I believe that the person who is grounded in clarity and prudent action in relation to financial matters will do better than the person who relies on things like meditation, psychological processes, and gratitude lists to attract abundance.
The financial outcome of my trust in a flawed belief system:
What did I get when I lived for vibration over practicality?
Besides a lot of confusion around money and so much else due to the belief system I followed, I ended up with debt. Debt that I still carry today and can trace directly back to my Abraham days.
True, no one told me to spend money or be careless. But when we are not clear on how to effectively, practically manage money and in fact are taught illusions and magical thinking around money, it is easy to mismanage it.
My financial outcome would be different if I had, for example, read my books on managing money and building financial security instead of tossing them aside when I found the more appealing Abraham books. I regret the way I mismanaged my money in that 5 years under the haze of Abraham-Hicks and magical thinking. I can now see that I was thinking about money and abundance in absurd, illogical, foolish ways. And the actual outcome, the results that really manifested in my life, confirms this.
There are outcomes, consequences for the choices we make. And even good intentions and good vibes will not rescue us from the consequences of a nice-sounding, but ultimately unsound belief system.