And brave you for reading this! If you are an Abraham follower (an “Aber”) then you have been taught to believe that focusing on anything that contradicts what you want to hear and how you want to feel is BAD for you. It goes against the primary rule: feel good, feel good, feel good. In fact, it supposedly adds that which you don’t want to your “vibration,” muddies your signal to the universe, and thus delays all the positive things that have been lined up for you in your “vortex.”
I used to live according to those constructs as well, but have come to understand how absurd those ideas are, not to mention deceptive, manipulative, and controlling. But if you have, for now, accepted this belief, then you are to be commended for your bravery for reading this.
I would like to reassure you that critical thinking, examining different ideas, and even having a reaction that doesn’t feel good will NOT disadvantage you, your life, or your future in any way. You have nothing to fear.
If you are a spiritual seeker who does not identify with being an Aber, I hope you will find it interesting to read a blog that attempts to discuss spiritual topics in grounded and responsible ways. This is not the place to read articles like, “Manifesting Money and Unicorns with the Law of Attraction!” Or “How to Hand Over Your Life to Spirit Guides!” I think we can all agree there are so many helpful and empowering ideas in New Age, but are ALL of these ideas equally helpful?
At this blog I would like to examine some of the screwy ideas, half-truths, and even lies that are being readily accepted by many spiritual seekers. In particular, I am here to talk about the tricky mix of helpful and harmful ideas contained in the Abraham-Hicks teachings.
Here is some brief background on where I stand:
- I was an avid follower of the Abraham-Hicks teachings for 5 years.
- At some point I woke up. I felt that I had been brainwashed. I began to see the consequences these ideas can have.
- I now cherish the return of my clear thinking and faculties of reason. More than ever I value spirituality that is authentic and accountable. I care about ideas that are valid and effective for life on earth.
- I now understand more about the spiritual realms that surround us, entities, and the human mind-body-spirit system.
- I believe Abraham to be an astral entity that Esther is channelling. There are more entities involved in this movement, but I will be referring to Abraham as a single being.
- I aim to examine these very popular, very appealing beliefs that may not be as benign as they first appear.
It is not that I wish to bash cherished belief systems or a person’s right to believe in them, in fact I care very much about free will and everyone’s right to make empowered choices. Which is why I am focusing on a belief system that is not aboveboard or teaching the highest wisdom of the land, but rather hindering true freedom of mind and hindering people’s ability to make clear, empowered choices.
Spirituality may go beyond rational thought, but it must not forsake it.
Thank you for visiting, and stay tuned.